7 Advantages of Using a Snoring Appliance
When waking up in the morning do you feel refreshed or do you still not feel like leaving the bed? If your sleep is less than hurtful, it can be an indication that you suffer from sleep apnea. Sleep apnea happens to be a common condition and it can affect your breathing as you sleep.
But nothing to worry. An oral sleep appliance or snoring appliance is a customised device that is used to treat sleep apnea and snoring. It looks like a mouth guard or retainer and it works by keeping the jaw in a forward position so that the upper airway remains open.
So you can do away with snoring just with the application of a small appliance. Here are some of the major benefits that you can get by using a snoring application.
- Simple to Use – These appliances are quite simple to use and they are small and portable. They do not call for replacement parts and you don’t need them to be plugged in or use a battery. You will be provided with a custom-fitted, simple-to-use device for great comfort and optimum effectiveness. You just have to put them in your mouth every night. The upkeep and care are also super easy. They just need to be cleaned and soaked occasionally. A toothbrush can also be used to clean the device.
- Easy to Transport – The CPAP machines happen to be cumbersome and one needs a special bag to carry it around along with its accessories. On the contrary, an oral sleep appliance that is retainer shaped can be carried in a case and it fits easily in jacket pockets and handbags. So patients face no problem while travelling with this appliance.
- Treats Any Level of Sleep Apnea – Snoring can be a symptom of a serious ailment called sleep apnea which is a condition in which the patient stops to breathe momentarily while sleeping. The oral sleep appliance is the most preferred treatment for mild and moderate cases of sleep apnea. The more severe cases are treated with the CPAP machines but not all patients can use it. Oral sleep appliances assist patients with severe sleep apnea who are unable to use CPAP machines.
- Comfortable Irrespective of Sleep Position – As the apnea mouthpiece is custom-fitted to your jaw and mouth, it does not interfere with the skin, sleep position or facial hair the way the CPAP mask may. Moreover, this appliance does not involve wearing prongs in the nose or masks on the face.
- Doesn’t Create Additional Sounds – CPAP machines while not noisy do emit sounds. They thus cause disturbances to the patient or the partner who is sleeping with the patient. On the contrary, this oral sleep appliance does not make any such noise.
- Affordable – The snoring appliance is usually less costly than the CPAP machines if you are paying out-of-pocket. Doctors have been prescribing oral sleep appliance for years in order to treat snoring and sleep apnea. Hence, they are medically essential and proven treatments and most insurance companies cover them without second thoughts.
- Long-lasting – The snoring appliances are made of sturdy plastic and some of them have metal parts. So if you can care for them in the proper manner, these appliances can last for years together without creating any problem.
Therefore, this type of snoring appliance is highly recommended by doctors for treating both snoring and sleep apena. However, a comprehensive initial exam with a reputed sleep apnea dentist along with regular follow-ups for checking in the fitness and effectiveness of the appliance can minimise and prevent most of these issues.